A number of specialist interest groups are dedicated to recording Somerset’s rich wildlife and varied geology. Between them members have a wealth of knowledge about the natural history of the county and they collect the majority of species records held by SERC. Most also have links with national recording schemes.
Opportunities for Recorders
There is a group to suit every interest and membership is one of the best ways to get actively involved in recording in the county. New members are always welcome and will find invaluable support from a network of fellow enthusiasts.
Most groups hold regular field and indoor meetings where you can learn more about their activities. Many also carry out practical conservation work, and provide help and advice to members of the public and conservation organisations.
SERC directly supports the work of several of the groups and work with them to encourage recording across the county.
- Exmoor Natural History Society
- Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society
- Somerset Badger Group
- Somerset Bat Group
- Somerset Botany Group
- Somerset & Bristol Branch of Butterfly Conservation
- Somerset Geology Group
- Somerset Mammal Group
- Somerset Moth Group
- Somerset Ornithological Society
- Somerset Otter Group
- Somerset Rare Plants Group
- Reptile and Amphibian Group for Somerset
- North Somerset & Bristol Fungus Group